This Napier Port – Shed 9 Logistics Building project consisted of over 8000m2 of roofing iron with 33m long sheets, over 3000m2 of wall cladding and over 600m2 of doors. The roofing sheets were run/manufactured on site and craned up into position. This large shed was designed and built to hold packaged pulp for export. Approx 16,000 tonnes of pulp will move through this building per month. Turfrey carried out this project to very strict timeframes and to the highest standards of safety.
Start writing about almost any place on the coast of New Zealand and it’s not long before a historic figure steps into the picture – Captain James Cook.
In the picture of the Port of Napier, James Cook made the first faint stroke of the brush, when, on 14 October 1769, his ship ‘Endeavour’ stood off the Napier bluff after a run down the coast from Portland Island at the northern extremity of what later became known as Hawke Bay.
Whilst Napier was declared a Customs Port of Entry in 1855, it wasn’t until The Napier Harbour Board Act, 21 October 1875 was passed before the Napier Harbour Board was born. Many acrimonious discussions were held over a period of years on the viability of moving the port from the Ahuriri spit to its current location, beneath Bluff Hill. The decision to move followed a public poll held in January 1885. The completion of the initial breakwater in 1886 was the birth of the deep water port as we know it today.
The Port of Napier Ltd was born of port and waterfront legislative reform of 1988 – 89, which spelt the end of Napier Harbour Board as an entity.